Image hosting by Photobucket

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Snow Days

It's been crazy for the past few days- the snow finally decided to come, and now it won't stop! It's been snowing since Saturday and won't let up. We woke up Sunday morning to find a few inches of snow on the ground and more snow coming down. We didn't think much of it, so we shoveled the driveway and sidewalks then headed to 9 o'clock church. Ironically, despite all the snow and the unplowed streets, we made it to church in record time because no one was out that morning. The church was also empty. Our bishop was just finishing up some meetings and told us they had decided to cancel all the wards. So, we headed back home. I was glad to have a break from teaching primary, but that also means I have no new kid stories. Sorry.

Work and school has gone on, along with the snow. We now have close to a foot and a half of snow accumulation. We'll get a break from the snow tomorrow, but then it starts back up into the weekend. Kevin went and bought another snow shovel so we could decrease the time it takes us to dig out each morning. South Bend is still up and running, which is a miracle since they refuse to plow and salt the streets. There is only one road in town that is cleared so you can actually see some pavement, but it is also a state road. The rest of the roads in South Bend are in very sad shape and will only get worse with temperatures plunging into single digits tomorrow. No one can figure out what happened to all the snow money.


Other happenings...we went to a Harlem Globetrotters show on Friday. We went with a church group and some friends (hey, the tickets were free!). It was bearable. All I could think of the entire time was how everything I was seeing tied into a Simpsons episode somehow. As for school, I still don't like my GLOBES class. I am now learning how the stereotype of professors (aloft, arrogant, out-of-touch, pompous) came about. Our class is from 6-9pm; I get to school at 7:50am and stay there the whole day. By the time 9pm comes around, I'm very ready to go home. Our professor, however, showed no signs of stopping by 9:15pm. Kevin was picking me up and waiting outside, but the professor kept yammering on and on. I got mad and started putting my things away (non-discretely), pulled on my coat and gloves, walked all the way across the room, and left. I don't know how much longer the guy went on talking. I really don't mind staying longer for a class (I did last semester for our other 6-9pm class- once until 10pm!), but this professor is just interested in hearing himself talk and wasn't adding anything useful. Maybe I'm just rude, or it's hormones, or the fact that I've been in school for 20 years is making me grumpy! But I don't want to set a precedence for the rest of the semester for this guy. Nine o'clock means we should be going home.

Some good news- we found a Korean market just a few minutes away from us. We found it by luck. While we were couch shopping, I noticed a lot of Asian-looking people driving out of a parking lot next to the furniture store. I figured there must be an Asian market there. So, when Kevin wanted to make bulgogi, we went back to the area and found the market. Kevin's always a hit with Koreans. His Korean is still excellent, and he impresses everyone he talks to. I love how Koreans always insist on talking to me even though Kevin is the one who answers them. Anyways, enough for now. Stay warm and dry! Hopefully we won't get snowed in!

Post a Comment

<< Home