Image hosting by Photobucket

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

More complaints

Sorry to be such a whiner today, but I just had some people come visit me, and one of them brought her two children. Her little boy is 3 and her daughter is 1. Kids aren't my forte, but I like them well enough. I love my nieces and nephews and don't mind them, but other people's kids are something else. Especially when they are not well behaved. The visit started off well enough except for the boy standing on my new couch with his snow boots on. After a while, both kids decided to go through the things on my coffee table. After drawing on things and pushing every single button on my remote controls, they headed to our fish tank. The little boy was entranced with the fish, but the girl got bored and decided to climb onto my kitchen table and play with the things up there, throwing some things on the ground. Her mother made little 'tsk'-ing noises (which did nothing) and would occasionally retrieve her daughter and place her back on the couch. The kid would stay there for a couple seconds then beeline it straight back to the kitchen table. After a while I noticed a foul smell coming from the little girl. I kept watching the clock, hoping they'd leave soon but didn't say anything. When the little girl (still at the kitchen table) started playing with my cell phone and our $600 GPS unit, I told her mother that she needed to get down. After fetching the girl, the mother said they should get going. Hallelujah! But first, she wanted her son to use the bathroom since they'd be driving in the car for 15 minutes (is that a super long time for kids?). I directed her to our guest bathroom where she shooed the boy in. The boy left the door wide open while he went and came out a while later with no 'flush' sound following. He ran back into the living room and started playing with one of our flashlights. His mom told him to put it back because they were leaving. The boy ignored her. She told him to put it back again. He ignored her. She started counting, "One...two...you don't want me to get to three..." The boy, unfazed, continued to play. The mom finally just snatched it from him and herded him toward the door. After shutting (and locking!) the door behind them, I looked back toward the guest bathroom, wondering what I'd find. The boy had put the toilet seat back down, so I slowly lifted it up. Yep, nice yellow water with matching pee all over the seat. He never washed his hands either.

So my question is this: What is the proper etiquette for handling ill-behaved children in your home whose parents can't control them or don't seem to care?
This isn't nearly as bad as some other experiences I've had, but I'm starting to see a rather disturbing trend. I know some people will say, "Just wait and see how you do when you have kids!" But I would hope I'd have the courtesy to wipe up the pee my child splattered all over someone else's bathroom.

I know we all have stories like this; post them if you'd like. I'm also thinking of buying the book shown in the above image by Adrianne Frost. I've thought about buying it before, but now it's a must-have. That's all for now...I've got pee to clean up.
Blogger Michelle said...

sorry about the yellow water! eww that story is gross. i'll be sure that elias has better toilet manners when we come to visit you guys :)

9:06 PM  
Blogger Jerin said...

I've had similar experiences. For some reason, some parents don't always think that "take off your shoes" applies to the kids too. The one the gets me is kids walking around your house with food or drinks in their hand.

Regardless of how hard it's going to be, I think that parents should at least show some concern for the home they are visiting. Maybe I also don't fully understand the difficulty since Taisei's only about 1, but I do have plenty of very considerate parents who visit our house as well, so I know it can be done.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home