Image hosting by Photobucket

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Work Sucks

Well, this week hasn't been the best of weeks. Poor Kevin has been working non-stop. He claims he'll be writing his own blog entry explaining what's going on, so I'll leave it at that. Besides being a hard work week, it's also been tough for our little Riley. I was brushing Riley last Sunday when I noticed some bald patches on his sides. At first I freaked out thinking I had brushed him too much. After being assured by a myriad of people that you can't over-brush a dog, I was told to take him to the vet. I took him in on Thursday. The vet wasn't overly concerned but thinks Riley may have a thyroid hormone deficiency. We won't know for sure until the results of the blood sample are back on Monday. If it is a thyroid hormone deficiency, we'll have to give Riley a daily hormone pill for the rest of his life. Other than that, there isn't anything else that needs to be done.

Another fun Riley story- Friday morning, after showering, I walked over to Kevin's side of the bed to give him a good-morning kiss when I stepped in something wet. I prayed it was just water from Riley's early morning roll in the snow, but when we turned on the lights we discovered a huge lake Riley had created sometime that night. We can't figure out when he did it. We let him out at 11pm, 3am, and 6am. Anyway, it was a great way to start the day. It took us a long time to get it all cleaned up. I'm just hoping it was an accident and not some sort of regression or rebellion on his part.

As for my week at school, things were good for the most part. It was a week full of meetings, so I didn't get as much lab work done as I wanted to. But great things came out of all of my meetings, so I can't complain too much. I was able to meet with some Ugandan ambassadors from the Uganda Martyrs University about possible collaborative research efforts in Uganda. I will likely be taking an exploratory trip in May or June to Uganda. I'm very excited about the research possibilities.

Not much else is going on. This upcoming week is spring break, but that doesn't mean anything to grad students except there will be less undergrads in the hallways. Oh, I should tell you that I'm writing this entry on my new desktop computer that Kevin bought for me. I think there are some ulterior motives, but I love it just the same. Stop eying my computer monitor, Kevin!
Blogger Jerin said...

Humm.. I wonder what's wrong with poor Riley. Did you mention that night-time problem to the vet too? Hopefully it's unrelated and he's just having some kind of behavioral problems. If that were the case, and it were me, I would maybe try to re-crate train him. He should be able to hold it at night w/o any problems unless there's something wrong.

Have fun w/ your new PC!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

Oh I hope Riley will be okay. I don't think I would enjoy giving a dog a pill anymore than a kid. Except maybe you'll get to hide it in a chunk of raw meat which I would probably get sent to jail for doing to one of my kids. I guess I will have to continue the hold'em down and force it in method.
I'm looking forward to hearing from Kevin:)

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home